top of page

5 Numbers You Need on Speed Dial

Not every situation is one that requires dialing 9-1-1; that line should be kept clear for true emergencies only. defines a true emergency as “any situation that requires immediate assistance from the police, fire department or ambulance.” They also recommend that if you’re unsure whether the situation is a true emergency or not, call and let the call-taker determine the best course of action.

What if a non-emergency situation arises that could still use the assistance of a police officer or fire department? Do you have their numbers saved into your phone? What are some other numbers you should have ready at a moments notice?

Here are 5 to get you started:

1. Local Police Department

Having quick access to your local police departments non-emergency number is useful in the case you need to report someone disturbing the peace or acting suspicious. You may also be able to request increased patrol due to prowlers, speeding vehicles or similar concerns. Again though, if you feel the situation is life threatening, you should call 9-1-1 but for everything else, your local police department should be able to answer a lot of questions.

  • CCSO: (937) 382-1611

  • Blanchester PD: (937) 783-2431

  • New Vienna PD: (937) 987-2116

  • Port William PD: (937) 207-1273

  • Sabina PD: (937) 584-2441

  • Wilmington PD: (937) 382-3833, Option 1

  • State Highway Patrol: (937) 382-2551

  • Cowan Lake State Park LE: (937) 382-1096

2. Poison Control Center

You may think that most calls to poison control are about young children accidentally getting into medicine or cleaning supplies but the call-takers are also available to help in a number of other ways. They deal with everything from identifying recalled food products to snake bites. The poison control hotline is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and the call is always free. If you have any questions at all, call: 1-800-222-1222.

3. Local Fire Department

One instance for calling the local fire department would be to inform them of a small fire that’s now extinguished, but one you could still use their help with to check things out or assess for more damage. Another common reason is getting spilled gas or vehicle fluids cleaned up after a car accident.

  • District 1 (Wilmington): (937) 382-2244

  • District 2 (Sabina): (937) 584-4132

  • District 3 (Clarksville): (937) 289-3427

  • District 4 (Jefferson Township): (937) 625-1182

  • District 5 (Chester Township): (937) 283-1616

  • District 6 (New Vienna): (937) 987-2713

  • District 7 (Martinsville): (937) 685-4455

  • District 8 (Blanchester FD): (937) 783-4925

  • District 8 (Blanchester EMS): (937) 783-2062

  • District 9 (Port William): (937) 486-5300

4. Dog Warden

If you see a sick or injured animal, it’s best to call for help. Whether this is a domesticated or wild animal, you can’t be completely certain of the situation and it could have rabies or another harmful disease. You can also call animal control if you’ve lost your pet or need to report animal cruelty as they often have records for those things. (937) 382-8388.

5. HelpLink 2-1-1

It may be so short that you don’t need it in your speed dial, but it’s still a great one to have on hand. For phones listed in Clinton County, dialing 2-1-1 will get you connected with HelpLink. During a disaster, you'll be able get information on where to go for Volunteer Reception Centers, Family Assistance Centers, Disaster Recovery Center information, or to access an advocate when you face a crisis or barriers to service. If your phone is not listed in Clinton County, then you may not be able to reach the 2-1-1 service.

454 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page